5 Must-Visit Destinations for Foodies
For many, excellent food is a key ingredient in booking the perfect trip away. In fact, food tourism research shows that 70% of people pick a destination based on its food, and a whopping 95% of travellers around the world are classed as food travellers.
But when it comes to booking a culinary holiday, some places are more gastronomic than others. So here are five destinations that top our list of holidays for food lovers…
Mexico City, Mexico
Mexico is one of the best countries in the world for street food and a favourite destination for foodies to visit. Interestingly, around 58% of Mexicans eat street food at least once per week, and many see it as an affordable way to eat, costing less than the equivalent of £2 on average.
Some of the best street food is found in Mexico City. Must-visit street markets and food courts include:
- Taco Roundabout
- Mercado Coyoacán
- Mercado Roma
- Mercado de la Merced
- Mercado de San Juan
You’ll find everything from simple, traditional Mexican dishes to gourmet cuisine there. Street markets really do have something for everyone!
Be sure to try some of these top street foods in Mexico City:
- Tamales - A popular street food breakfast in Mexico City made from corn masa wrapped in a corn husk and commonly filled with chicken, pork or vegetables.
- Tacos - You’re never far from a taco stand in Mexican City. One of the most popular fillings is Al Pastor - a tender pork roasted on a giant spit, topped with onions and coriander.
- Camotes - Perfect for those with a sweet tooth, Camotes are sweet potatoes pressure-cooked in a charcoal oven and served with strawberry jam and condensed milk. You’ll know if a Camotes cart is close by because you’ll hear the high-pitched whistle of the oven steam sounding through the streets!
Mexico City also boasts some fantastic restaurants serving authentic Mexican dishes, such as Pujol (hailed as the best Mexican restaurant in Mexico City) and Maximo Bistrot (known for its brunch, tasting menus and perfect wine pairings).
Plan a foodie trip to Mexico City and stay in one of these popular hotels:
- Four Points by Sheraton Mexico City Colonia Roma
- Le Meridien Mexico City
- Hilton Mexico City Reforma
- Barcelo Mexico Reforma
- Mexico City Marriott Reforma Hotel
Book through Plans Change to secure the best Mexico City hotels at the best prices.
Tokyo is easily one of the world’s greatest food cities and, therefore, a must-visit destination for foodies. Enjoy the freshest and most authentic sushi on the planet, sample foods you’ve never even heard of before and indulge in lots of authentic Tokyo treats along the way, such as:
- Tendon - A humble bowl of white rice topped with golden and crispy deep-fried seafood and vegetables
- Tsukemen - Dipping noodles and broth invented in the early ‘60s by Kazu Yamagishi
- Monjayaki - A pan-fried savoury pancake traditionally topped with cabbage, seafood or meat
Some of the best street food markets in Tokyo include:
- Tsukiji Outer Market
- Togoshi Ginza
- Yanaka Ginza
- Ameya Yokocho
But there are also fantastic Tokyo restaurants for foodies to try, like:
- Sushi M (great for sushi, as the name suggests, contemporary seafood dishes and fusion food)
- Shirosaka (Michelin Star Japanese restaurant with an inventive menu and relaxed atmosphere)
- Sushi-Ya (Popular with food bloggers and Instagrammers)
Along with various food tours and cooking lessons available in Tokyo for food tourists, we highly recommend taking part in a traditional tea ceremony at Hamarikyu Gardens.
Plan your culinary vacation to Tokyo with Plans Change - the best place for buyers looking for great hotel deals. Check out these popular hotels in Tokyo available at a discounted rate:
- Courtyard by Marriott Tokyo Ginza Hotel
- InterContinental Hotels TOKYO BAY
- Conrad Tokyo
- Dai-ichi Hotel Tokyo
- Imperial Hotel Tokyo
Undoubtedly, Bangkok is one of the world's culinary capitals. With food stalls around every corner, family-run eateries and world-class gourmet restaurants, it's a real treat for foodies wanting to experience authentic Thai cuisine.
No matter which food tour travel guide you read, when it comes to Thailand, it'll tell you it's all about street food. There's nothing quite like eating Thai food the way it was intended - fresh and full of flavour from some of the city's best night markets and street vendors. It's cheap, tasty and a fantastic way to try all of Bangkok's best dishes, including:
- Pad Thai - Sure, you've tried this many times before, but you'll fall in love with it all over again in Bangkok!
- Khao Niaow Ma Muang - Mango sticky rice with rich coconut cream, sometimes topped with crispy mung beans.
- Tom Yum Goong - All the best Thai flavours rolled into one spicy, sour broth served with shrimp, fragrant lemongrass and zesty lime.
No matter where you're staying in Bangkok, you'll never be far from a street market, so keep your eyes peeled. Some of the famous street food markets in Bangkok are:
- Ratchada Train Market
- Chatuchak Weekend Market
- Srinakarin Train Market
- Chinatown Market
- Wang Lang Market
Bangkok is also home to a wide range of authentic Thai restaurants, such as:
- Thipsamai (known for its authentic Pad Thai and secret sauce)
- Jay Fai (the first streetside restaurant to be awarded a Michelin Star in Bangkok)
- Sanguansri Restaurant (hailed for the best Thai green curry in Bangkok)
A great tip is to follow the locals and see where they eat!
Book a Bangkok hotel through Plans Change to secure a great deal. Here are some hotels close to Bangkok street markets and restaurants:
- Royal Orchid Sheraton Hotel and Towers
- The Raweekanlaya Bangkok Wellness Cuisine Resort
- Dream Bangkok
- Millennium Hilton Bangkok
- Pathumwan Princess Hotel
4. Tuscany, Italy
Are you planning a culinary trip to Europe? Put Tuscany in Italy at the very top of your list. Not only is it a culinary heaven but a beautiful destination to visit. Just picture yourself lazing on a sun-drenched terrace overlooking the vineyards with a glass of wine in hand. What could be better?
Tuscany is one of the best destinations for foodies because of its abundance of authentic Italian restaurants serving everything from family favourites to gourmet dishes. Some of the best restaurants in Tuscany include:
Osteria Le Logge in Siena (known for its refined Tuscan cooking)
- Arnolfo in Colle di Val d’ Elsa (a 2 Michelin-starred restaurant)
- La Pineta in Marina di Bibbona (a pilgrimage site for seafood lovers)
- Trattoria Latte di Luna in Pienza (a much-loved family-run trattoria with a beautiful streetside terrace)
- Il Falconiere in Cortona (A Michelin-Star restaurant prized for its delicious locally-grown ingredients and stunning views over the valley)
Don’t forget to sample some of these traditional Tuscan foodie favourites during your trip:
Crostini Toscani - The perfect way to begin any meal in Tuscany is with Crostini Toscani - chicken liver pate served on a thin piece of toasted bread. It’s simple yet utterly delicious.
Fagioli con Salsiccia - A comforting rustic dish of sausages and Borlotti beans cooked with onions, garlic, chilli and crushed tomatoes.
Tagliatelle al Tartufo - You can’t visit Italy without indulging in a delicious bowl of pasta, and Tagliatelle al Tartufo is a Tuscan favourite. The dish combines long ribbons of tagliatelle pasta, mouth-watering melted butter, garlic and delicate shavings of black truffle and Parmigiano cheese. If that doesn’t get your taste buds tingling, we don’t know what will!
Check out our Tuscany hotels on Plans Change, including:
- Four Points by Sheraton Siena
- Relais Cappuccina, San Gimignano
- Hotel Tornese, Cecina
- Etrusco Arezzo Sure Collection
- Hotel Italia
5. New York City, USA
Visiting the United States? New York City is the place to go for foodies. The food is as culturally diverse as its people making it a beautiful place to visit, and with everything from street vendors to Michelin-Starred restaurants, it'll simply spoil you for choice!
Try your best to avoid the tourist traps and chain restaurants you can visit anywhere and instead seek out some of The Big Apple's hidden gems. Here are a few of our favourites:
- Motorino Pizza - located in the East Village, Williamsburg and Upper West Side, Motorino serves some of the best artisan pizzas in New York.
- Eleven Madison Park - a fine dining restaurant offering upscale American tasting menus by chef Daniel Humm.
- Cosme - offers a contemporary approach to authentic Mexican cuisine.
- Katz Delicatessen - an iconic New York establishment famed for its hand-carved pastrami on freshly baked rye bread.
And if you're wondering what New York food you must try, start with:
- Iconic NYC Bagels (they taste a million times better in their birthplace!)
- Cheesecake (head to Junior's for the best authentic New York Cheesecake)
- BEC (bacon, egg and cheese is the most popular breakfast sandwich in The Big Apple)
Feeling hungry? Us too! Let's get booking that culinary trip to New York with a stay at one of these popular hotels:
- DoubleTree by Hilton New York City - Chelsea
- The New York EDITION
- Freehand New York
- Broadway Plaza Hotel
- The Ritz-Carlton New York NoMad